Ever feel like when it comes to your marketing strategy, you’re throwing stuff at a wall and hoping it will stick?
We get it—marketing can feel confusing. But what if there was a way to have a streamlined, efficient process for building your marketing strategy that not only was easy to execute but also helped you better connect with your audience?
What if marketing didn’t have to feel complicated or confusing? What if you could ensure that your message would reach the right people every time?
Well, don’t worry. We’ve got you covered, and good news—it’s a lot simpler than you think.
Here’s what you need to know to create a successful marketing strategy for your organization.
Know Your Why and Your What
Before we start building a marketing strategy, let’s start with why.
Why do you do what you do? What does your organization offer? What makes you different from other organizations?
What unique thing do you offer that your customers or supporters are looking for? What drives the heart of your organization? Why should people care about what you do?
Make a quick list answering these questions, and you’ll probably see some themes rise to the surface. This will help you create content that not only speaks to the heart of your mission but also resonates with your audience.
Starting with WHY you do what you do and WHAT you offer helps you better understand WHO you serve and HOW you should go about creating your marketing strategy.
Know Your Who
Once you know your WHY, figure out WHO it is you want to connect with. If you’ve never done a deep dive into your audience, start looking a bit deeper into your organization. What is the makeup of your customer or support base? What common attributes does your audience share? Do they share a common geographic area, certain interests, or shared values? What challenges do they face and how can your organization help them overcome those challenges? Why do they choose to work with your organization?
We live in a noisy world—so how do you cut through the noise? Take what you learn about your audience and let it drive personal, targeted, to-the-point messaging that makes your audience feel like you know exactly what they need, and that you’re ready to help them achieve it.
Build Your Strategy
You’ve done the hard work of diving deep into your organization and audience. Now it’s time to put pen to paper and create content that will help your audience better understand and connect with your organization, which in turn will lead to increased trust and long-term support.
Here are 5 things to consider when building your marketing strategy:
1. Pick your platform
- Do you know where your audience naturally gathers? Where would be the easiest place to reach them? Knowing this will help you decide which platform or mix of platforms to focus on. Maybe your audience is really active on social media; or maybe they appreciate in-person connection! Knowing where your audience is will help you reach the right people on the right platform so you can focus on showing up well.
2. Establish your content guidelines
- If you had to boil down who you are, what you do, and why you do what you do, what would those things be? Pick 5-7 aspects of your organization that you want to talk about or share. This could be things like your values, your impact, your customers, etc!
- Having guidelines in place for your content will help you create easy, repeatable content that your audience will not only connect with, but also come to expect from you. This in turn will build trust and connection with your audience.
3. Create your plan
- If the thought of writing compelling content seems challenging to you, never fear! Below are a few things to think about when writing your content.
- Get your audience’s attention! A couple easy ways to do this are to use a powerful statistic, tell a compelling story, show a testimonial or experience, or bring your audience behind-the-scenes and make them part of the story.
- When making your content, focus on your audience. This may seem obvious, but is your reader the hero of the story you’re telling? Use language that highlights the value you offer to your audience and how they can benefit from partnering with you.
- Keep it brief— focus on creating content that’s easily digestible and easy to access.
- Keep it conversational. If your friend asked you what you do and why you do it, how would you tell them? Keep your audience engaged by talking with them like you would with a good friend.
4. Test, test again!
- You did it! Your marketing strategy is out in the world. Now what?
- Your marketing strategy should be something that is constantly evolving. A big part of that is testing out your strategy. Maybe you thought something would perform well and it didn’t. Maybe something that you shared ended up resonating really well with your audience. Use each opportunity to get to know your audience even better. As you go along, you’ll start to find what works and what doesn’t.
5. Consider working with a marketing partner
- Maybe you’ve got a great start on your marketing strategy, but you want an extra set of hands to help you take your marketing to the next level. Partnering with a team of qualified, passionate experts may be just what you need to help you reach your audience effectively.
At Anna Montgomery & Co, we partner with you to help you create streamlined marketing strategies that are easy to execute and help you better connect with your audience. We know you’ve got a lot on your plate, and we want to help you get back to focusing on running your organization.
Here’s a behind-the-scenes look at what you can expect in working with our team:
First, we do a deep dive into your organization. We want to know everything! We want to know about you, your organization, your work, and your impact. We want to know what challenges you face, your vision for your organization, and your dreams for your growth. What this means for you is that you have a partner who genuinely cares about who you are and what you do, so that your marketing accurately reflects your vision and mission.
From there, the real work begins! We partner with you to create marketing goals and strategies that fit your audience and your organization. Whether you want to reach your current audience in a new way, drive new people to your business, refresh your messaging, or just better communicate with your internal team, we’re here to take the guesswork out of your marketing strategy.
Marketing isn’t a one-size-fits all approach. Your strategy shouldn’t be either!
To recap, here’s what we recommend for a compelling marketing strategy that will enable you to reach your audience and connect with them in a new way:
- Know who you are and the value of what you offer
- Know your audience and why they work with you
- Create content that reflects your vision, treats your audience like the hero, and builds genuine relationships
- Let your strategy evolve with your organization and audience
- Partner with a team of experts that knows your organization and audience
Want more marketing how-to help? Let us know what we should share next!